Sunday, December 21, 2008

Holy shit!

Masters practice tonight. I wound up not doing quite as many yards as everyone else cause I am a lot slower, but here is my best estimation of what I did do:

200 free warmup
200 drill (free, alternating between anchor drill and catchup)
1800 main (400 free, 200 kick/drill, 200 free, 400 pull, 200 kick/drill, 400 free)
100 timed
200 easy
300 IM (4 x 75)
300 (this was supposed to be a pyramid, but at that point I was just trying to keep swimming, so I wasn't timing or anything)
200 breathing set (4 x 50)

So, about 3300 yards. Holla! That's by far the most I've ever done; and not only did I surprise myself with how much I was able to do, but the fly portions of the IMs were no problem at all, even though they fell near the 3000 yard mark when I was already really tired. I mean, I remember the first time I went swimming with Grappledunk around Labor Day, I could barely make it to the end of a 25 fly lap when I'd only been swimming a few minutes. And the breathing set at the end was supposed to be 4 x 50 yards, breathing five times, then four, then three, then two. I did five, then six, then three, and was sure I could never do the two breath 50 that the coach wanted me to--but I did! I did the first 25 with no breaths at all.

So, I guess I am gradually making progress, even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it... now that I know I can do over 3000 I will just have to keep pushing until I can do it consistently, and can polish off 4000.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Congratulations! That's so exciting. Are you super sore today? You've got the right idea, just keep swimming, even if you can't yet keep up with the other masters swimmers, eventually you can. I do advise being particularly courteous and getting out of their way often if you're sharing lanes with faster people. Keep up the great work!

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

My back is sore from the fly (which probably means I should start doing more of it), but otherwise I'm fine. I seem to be pretty well situated in the slower of our two lanes, so I haven't even had to do a tremendous amount of shuffling to get out of people's way. I was SO PSYCHED that I did 25 yards without breathing!

Grappledunk said...

Dude, you are so gonna kill that mile in the bay!